catumatic

"education is not the filling of a pail. it is the lighting of a fire." william butler yeats

Monday, January 21, 2008

phoggy in philadelphia

here at PHL in the middle of a 4.5 hour layover. in that foggy state where i can't concentrate on reading. very much looking forward to getting home tonight and maybe not flying in an airplane for many months. there's no joy in the airport. and, really, i should find it more important, it pollutes a lot a lot.

i have no plans at all to fly anywhere right now, which feels good. i hope to drive to goddard for graduation this summer as part of a road trip to canada to see phil's phamily. i wish the US had better trains. see no impact man for further thoughts on air and train travel.

PHL offers free wi-fi for college students. you just have to show your id at an info desk. they write down your info in a log... on pieces of paper. it struck me as lo-tech and funny. my coupon is good for one log-in, so if i close my computer to go to the bathroom, i think i'll get booted. but, i could just get a new coupon from a different desk.

this is all very riveting i know.

things i've been unable to read much of in my fog:

-The Yiddish Policeman's Union. I am liking this book. It is a detective story, but also funny and moving.
-NYT article about Ben Bernanke. I want to understand more about the economy, but i can rarely make myslef read anything about it. Mr. Marsh where are you? Mr. Marsh was my high school econ teacher. He liked to put a Yoda magnet on the overhead projector so we saw the silhouette and do the voice.

what i made it through:
-good old achewood.

how have you felt about the color strips lately? i like them. i also liked the reference to chris ware, who had a strip in the funny pages of the NYT magazine back in the glory days when the ladies upstairs never took in their paper and we got the times daily, for free! i liked ware's style, but the strips were always so bleak and depressing. sometimes too dark for me on a sunday morning.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I heart Mr. Marsh. He would always quote some Indian economist as saying "things will get better"--of course he would do the voice and everything. I think about that sometimes: things will get better.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Julia Gulia said...

Good old Mr. Marsh. Those were the glory days of second hour, doing the crossword every day and eating Reese's Peanut Butter cereal.

10:58 PM  
Blogger momo said...

Well I have no two cents about Mr. Marsh, but I do have to say I kind of miss the old B & W achewood. But it is starting to grow on me. The first was quite hilarious.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Brianna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Brianna said...

oops!

a second try...
I was always jealous of you brainy e-con kids.

I like reading Krugman's blog about the economy--it helps my feeble mind (when it comes to $$ theories)understand it all!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home