catumatic

"education is not the filling of a pail. it is the lighting of a fire." william butler yeats

Thursday, July 03, 2008

independence day

i have been talking over email with my mom lately about levels of dependence (financial, logistical, emotional) as a parenting strategy. where is the healthy level of support without fostering too much dependence?

in the spirit of my independence today, i was an ambitious dragon... i patched some holes in jeans on my own. i know my way around a sewing machine, but i usually still give jeans to my mom to patch. the thick seams are tricky, and she is so good at it.

it went okay. the thread broke many times though. maybe i'll go back a stepping stone of dependence and ask her to show me her technique next time.

other independent things i did:

transportation: biked to a meeting in uptown, then to franklin library to get my reserved books. i am turning to graphic novels and comics since they are easier on my relentless weird vision. i got books by art spiegelman and ariel shrag. they have the same initials. WHOA!

food: made chicken stock from frozen bits i'd been saving. this is the year of chicken progress!

2 Comments:

Blogger k-k-k-katie said...

I have tried and tried to patch holes in my cords, but they never seem to go over very well... Maybe you could share your patching skills with me and in the process become better by teaching!?

I like the idea of you as a dragon who vacillates between varying shades of ambition or lack thereof.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Brianna said...

did you ever read Maus? amazing....

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home